October 25, 2009

Mamaye

Words fail to express the sadness I felt at the news of the death of another great human being, talented musician and friend: Mamaye Kouyaté. I only heard this a few days ago, but it appears he died last month, after a prolonged illness.

Husband of that great diva of Malian music, Mah Damba (who featured in this earlier post), father of some very talented children and good friend of the late Alou Fané, who even named one of his children after him. It was Alou who introduced me to Mamaye and Mah, and right from the start they treated me like I had been a friend for years.

As a musical couple they were very well known, in Mali, but perhaps slightly more in Paris where they lived. While their intention has always been to stay close to tradition, living in Paris has meant that some compromises have been necessary to survive and live of what was essentially their purpose in life: being a griot or djeli. I know this has never been easy, but I can assure you this is not due to their (lack of) talent.....

This cassette is proof of this immense talent. It features both Mah and Mamaye in great form. I am told that this cassette was the basis for a cd called "Nyarela", but I have not heard this cd.
The title track "Nyarela" (after the quartier in Bamako) is one of my favourite tracks of Mamaye. This 22+ minute track is a monument of his skills as a ngoni player, as a traditional griot (talking), as an accompagnateur of his exceptional wife.

My condolences for Mah and family.
The world has lost a great musician, Mali a worthy cultural ambassador, and I a friend.

Paix à son âme.


Samassa IC 0397

7 comments:

oro said...

Merci pour cet hommage poignant

Unknown said...

Thanks for this post but there seems to be something wrong with the file or server… It first starts downloading at a very slow rate, accelerates a bit, and then stops after 2/3 completion (i've been trying 10 times at any hour of day or night).

WrldServ said...

@FroguetteMiNote: sorry for the extremely late reaction. I have checked the file and the download, but can find nothing wrong. So I assume it must have been a temporary hiccup.
If you're still having problems with the file, please mail me through the mailaddress in my profile.

Unknown said...

Extremely late, you're kidding, right? 3 days is une goutte d'eau dans l'océan du temps.
Thanks for answering so fast. I'll check it out again.

Unknown said...

It finally worked… at 6 AM in the morning. I (as a non subscriber) am having a lot of problems with Mediafire recently. Wonder if i am the only one...

WrldServ said...

I don't think you are the only one. There seems to be a general 'lapse' in performances by Mediafire and other providers....

I am studying my options in this respect.

Unknown said...

ADrive seems to work pretty well, with no captcha code either…
Dunno about the price, though.